Can You ROAR While Crunching?
I forgot to mention when I posted about the Gazette ROAR item of 13 October:
I feel the wording "Residents held crunch talks with airport bosses ..." is a tad overblown as later on the piece goes on to say "The group held initial talks with airport chiefs ...". Can initial talks be crunch talks? I would have thought that crunch talks come near the end of a series of dialogues or perhaps just prior to a major point where there is some disagreement. Likewise the whole point about initial talks is that they are the first between the interested parties and are the precursor for (hopefully) further discussion. They may contain strong viewpoints from all sides but opening talks/discussions/dialogues are surely never 'crunch'.
Perhaps it was a quiet day for the journalist and this story was the only molehill he could find ...
I feel the wording "Residents held crunch talks with airport bosses ..." is a tad overblown as later on the piece goes on to say "The group held initial talks with airport chiefs ...". Can initial talks be crunch talks? I would have thought that crunch talks come near the end of a series of dialogues or perhaps just prior to a major point where there is some disagreement. Likewise the whole point about initial talks is that they are the first between the interested parties and are the precursor for (hopefully) further discussion. They may contain strong viewpoints from all sides but opening talks/discussions/dialogues are surely never 'crunch'.
Perhaps it was a quiet day for the journalist and this story was the only molehill he could find ...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home