Rage at the Moon

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

ROAR on the Web

At last ... ROAR (Resident Objections to the Airport Regime) have a website at http://www.blackpoolroar.co.uk/. It's new, it's small, it doesn't have a lot of stuff ... but it's a start. And I found it by accident. They didn't reply to my e-mail.

8 Comments:

  • Yes, the cupboard is a little bare at the moment. The plan is for the site to evolve with the group - and it's only been the last couple of weeks that we've moved beyond information gathering.

    The lack of content also explains why I haven't been actively promoting the site online just yet. I don't think it creates a particularly professional image.

    I've only just stumbled upon your site myself so please allow me to apologise for the problems you've obviously had getting a response from ROAR. Trust me when I say this issue has been a topic of discussion. I shall talk to some people and see if I can find out what happened to your particular e-mails.

    You've obviously got an interest in this issue - and you seem to be the active involvement type - so why not pop along to the next meeting?

    Matt - Site Admin, ROAR

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 am  

  • Hi Matt and thanks for the comments regarding … erm … my comments about the ROAR site.

    First of all don’t panic - I only sent one e-mail (and that was after an early leaflet) to say that I didn’t think I'd be able to attend the meeting at St.Annes Cricket Club on Monday 4th September and wondered if you had “a web site that has news and information updates?” Regrettably I don’t think I’ll be able to attend many, if any, of the meetings as my MS means stairs in public places are a bit of a non-starter (and I know the St.Annes Cricket Club very well as I used to be a barman and regular drinker/member there!) but sadly, things change.

    Secondly, although I currently work on mainframe testing I used to work with html and website design and retain a general interest in how a website looks and functions. Two things stand out to me as an ‘interested party’ to the airport/residents proceedings and the development of the ROAR website. I would like to see a summary of the decisions discussed and taken at the meetings, not just a date for when they are taking place. I appreciate the site is in development so you may well have this in hand but as the group has now advertised six meetings on the site and has not published a report on any of them I find this a great waste of (relatively cheap) resources and publicity. I know the numbers of your group have grown but there are probably quite a few (being aware of the age of the populace of this area) who cannot attend the meetings through age, or like myself disability, and may therefore rely on the web for information. From a consistency point of view I find it strange that the masthead/logo on the doorstep leaflets is a lion but the masthead on the website is a tiger!?

    My personal point of view is that I do have an interest in the issue but have yet to decide whether I feel the airport ‘expansion’ to be a good or bad thing (hence my reason for wanting more information!) but am happy to provide a link, and observations, to the comings and goings of ROAR. I have already provided links to newspaper reports (as their websites are, in my opinion, awful) and will continue to do so and also any direct links to your new site as and when needs arise. Publicity for this issue is certainly essential.

    Keep in touch.

    Pablo

    P.S. I presume you found this blog by doing a web/Google search on “Blackpool+ROAR” … that’s how I found the ROAR site.

    P.P.S I guess I’m not the only blogger in St.Annes after all!

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 12:01 am  

  • I had got the impression that we'd ignored a few e-mails; I'm glad I was wrong but it's still rude of us to ignore any.

    I agree with you 100% w.r.t. your comments about the site being wasted thus far. I'm going to push hard at the next meeting to get some ideas and agreement on what the group want to do with it.

    I also agree about the inconsistency of the different logos. Unfortunately, that is my fault. When the site framework was built, the original image (the lion) wasn't available to me. It has since become available but it's an awkward little bitmap whose refusal to take a transparent background defeats my GIMP and Photoshop skills. At this point I'm disinclined to redo the design to fit round the bitmap. I guess I should discuss the option of changing it on the leaflets.

    Incidently ROAR is not a protest group. It's supposed to represent all residents - for, against, and undecided - and is mostly concerned with raising awareness and forcing public consultation over the plans. So your views are very much in line with the group as a whole.

    I'm sorry that you are unlikely to be able to attend meetings: you seem like exactly the sort of person that should be. One would imagine that we're probably breaking some discrimation law by holding meetings in a venue that is inaccessible to some people. I shall raise that as well. Given that we've started attracting donations: you'd assume we could afford to rent a more accessible venue. As you say, there are probably quite a few people that cannot attend.

    Would you mind if I refered to some of the comments you've made on this site during the next meeting?

    Matt

    P.S. Thanks for the link to the site and highlighting those articles - you are quite right about the navigation of those sites.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 am  

  • Hi Matt

    Well you've got my backing with regards to getting the members to decide on the content/usage of the ROAR website. Remind them it will only be of value if it is used and it will only be used if it has up-to-date content/information.

    That's a shame about the logo(s) and I fully appreciate your frustration with an image you want to use but the damn thing wont convert or be amended as you would like it. It is very annoying! It would be a shame to change the logo on the letter as at this stage it obviously has a bigger circulation and readership than your new website. Have you tried a web search for a GIF of a lion similar to the leaflet masthead? If my memory serves me right GIFs have transparency features that BMPs don't. Likewise have you tried converting the BMP into a GIF? Sorry if this is me 'preaching to the converted' by the way but obviously I don't know your skills so I'm assuming you may not have tried these things. It's an old work habit kept alive by watching colleagues writing letters on spreadsheets and trying to open spreadsheets with word processors!

    I'm pleased to hear that ROAR is not a protest group (though I suspect that may change depending on what develops at the airport!) and hope it continues to collect and debate as much information from all relevant parties as is possible.

    Don't worry about the venue being upstairs (it's still a good pint up there if memory serves me right) but this is exactly the sort of point that will back up your request/need for the website to be fully updated with information. The elderly and disabled may not have access to the meetings and the chances are they might get a Gazette or LSA Express but these will be anywhere up to seven days old with information that may not report exactly what the group wants to get across. Knowledge of a good specific ROAR website will spread, and for those without access to PCs someone can print off the latest pages for them!

    While I remember, you may want to give a thought to attaching a message board to your site for members to actively discuss topics relating to ROAR. I warn you that it can be hard work moderating the board but ultimately might give a voice to those who may otherwise remain quiet.

    I don't mind in the least if you refer to my comments. Consider it my 'contribution in absentia' and likewise I don't mind if your fellow ROARers (?) come on here and post their comments.

    Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

    Cheers

    Pablo

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 12:21 am  

  • GIFs do indeed support transparency but if the original image doesn't have that channel then it can a PITA to create it: 'i want that colour to be transparent but only in that part of the image' etc. Plus GIFs are still bitmaps which are obviously a problem if you want to scale up. I shall have another look for a lion but since I don't wish to break copyright laws, I need to find one available under the creative commons licence or similar.

    Don't worry about 'preaching to the converted' by the way: I've seen the same things and only an idiot is sure they haven't missed a blindingly obvious point. :)

    Interestingly, I did put up a message board earlier this week. However I did think of it as a way of improving communication between people involved in the group's organisation. I thought it would be best to avoid online debate since I'm still making the assumption that most of the people that attend the meetings will not have internet access. I thought that a general online forum might push debate away from the meetings and thus exclude a large number of people. You could well be right though about it being a good way of involving other people who can't get to meetings.

    I shall have to bring your suggestion up tonight - see what people think. If people do want it opening up, would you be interested in being a moderator?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 am  

  • Matt

    I suppose it ultimately depends on how many of your members actually have use of, or access to, a PC (with internet) to make a Message Board worthwhile. Perhaps a show of hands is in order. It may be the comments pages on the ROAR site are sufficient for the members.

    I'll have to decline your offer at this stage as my knowledge of ROAR's proceedings are minimal and I can't commit the time that may be required for effective moderation. For just now I'll stick to rummaging through the Gazette and LSA Express sites for clippings and adding my thoughts.

    Cheers

    Pablo

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 7:09 pm  

  • Pablo,

    Going back to the 'preaching to the converted' topic: are you aware that the Cricket Club have a stair lift for access to the function room?

    I apologise profusely if that comment simply demonstrates my ignorance of your general condition: my sum knowledge of MS is from watching 'The West Wing'.

    On a brighter note, we will be going ahead with a general purpose ROAR web forum that is open to the masses. I shall let you know once it's re-configured for that purpose (I intend doing it tomorrow). I think I put forward the case for people getting involved with the site so we shall see what happens there.

    I'm sorry that you wont be able to moderate. Thank-you very much for collecting the clippings - I really ought to add a link to your blog.

    Regards,

    Matt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 pm  

  • Matt

    Many thanks for the prompt response. I know it’s ‘early doors’ but it all sounds promising stuff to aid the group’s aims. I look forward to the ‘update’.

    As it happens I do remember the stair lift and kids playing on/around it when they’d become bored at a party being held upstairs! :-)

    With regard to my MS there is no need to apologise. I knew nothing about what it entailed until it was diagnosed. It’s my inability to walk over a distance and also to sit comfortably in a ‘non-comfy’ chair that are the main problems. At work it’s not too bad as I have to get up to go to the printer, etc, so I can cope during the day. As I’ve said elsewhere I consider myself lucky as I didn’t drop at the onset and be confined to a wheelchair or bed and I’m not in pain. I am however, seriously considering a walking stick (cane sounds a bit more impressive?) to aid my balance … and save my wife’s arm!

    Pablo

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 1:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home