Rage at the Moon

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fragmented Memories

It’s been a strange week really. At work it was interesting with real work to do (i.e. new release and having to creatively invent new scenarios to do the system testing) and by Friday my mind was a tad ‘mushy’ and it occurred to me that my brain could do with a defrag. However, a socially heavy weekend of watching Scotland beat France at Hampden Park (on Sky Sports) on Saturday and meeting my two daughters and the youngest one’s boyfriend (for the first time) on Sunday at a nearby pub seems to have done the trick.

This brings to mind though a thought that Microsoft may have lost a touch of visual entertainment for the masses with the defrag on XP compared to older versions. Currently with XP on my home laptop it looks like some sort of spectrum analysis chart combined with a moving bar code whereas with Win 95 (which we are still using at work to test for end users with an XP front end!) it is visually hypnotic with little squares changing colour as they move over the whole screen. It looks like the machine is really doing something! I can happily sit for long periods of time watching it progress, happy in the knowledge that I am tidying up my work unit and nobody can complain. If memory serves me right Win 10 and Win 11 (Windows for Workgroups … or Windows for Playgroups as we called it) had an even better defrag display but, I suppose that’s progress for you.

2 Comments:

  • I used to love the old defrag screen too. Quite theraputic in a way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 am  

  • You're quite right Tim. It's the only reason I hope they don't upgrade our work kit! :-)

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 4:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home