The Lamp Post and the Water Tap (XXII)
Sunday 21st was week 22 and ... the power went off at 4:15am, and didn't return until 7:00pm! Only some of the houses in our street were affected and the utilities company call centre spun an awful lot of bull throughout the day that it was being dealt with.
When I cornered an engineer near my door he thought the problem was perhaps near the lamp post outside number 17 (which had gone out) and I explained the history of the lamp outside number 5. He then reckoned that could be the source of the problem and when I explained it hadn't been lit for about 5 months he said "They'll have forgotten to reconnect it and switch it back on."! He also said they would have been round sooner but they only had the one call transferred from the call centre. It wasn't till they'd asked around and reported back that they discovered loads more phone calls reporting no power throughout the day. By now of course (4pm) the daylight was rapidly going so trench digging was not advisable however they did connect affected houses to unaffected ones via thick cables.
So, I'm using my neighbour's electricity to post this blog item! Yes they haven't started fixing the problem by Monday night, although their warning signs and barriers are neatly stacked ready for erection ... Tuesday?
Hmmm ... how do they square up the electricty bills for each customer?
When I cornered an engineer near my door he thought the problem was perhaps near the lamp post outside number 17 (which had gone out) and I explained the history of the lamp outside number 5. He then reckoned that could be the source of the problem and when I explained it hadn't been lit for about 5 months he said "They'll have forgotten to reconnect it and switch it back on."! He also said they would have been round sooner but they only had the one call transferred from the call centre. It wasn't till they'd asked around and reported back that they discovered loads more phone calls reporting no power throughout the day. By now of course (4pm) the daylight was rapidly going so trench digging was not advisable however they did connect affected houses to unaffected ones via thick cables.
So, I'm using my neighbour's electricity to post this blog item! Yes they haven't started fixing the problem by Monday night, although their warning signs and barriers are neatly stacked ready for erection ... Tuesday?
Hmmm ... how do they square up the electricty bills for each customer?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home