Rage at the Moon

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Some Things I’ve Learned About St.Annes

1. If you’re born and bred local you’re a ‘sand-grown-un’ and if you’ve moved here you’re known to locals as a ‘wind-blown-un’. This saying is more Blackpool than St.Annes but I have heard it used here so I guess it’s maybe a Fylde coast thing.

2. St.Annes is as flat as the proverbial pancake. The only hills are the road bridges which cross the railway line.

3. Snow will only lie in St.Annes for more than half a day about once every ten years thanks to the Gulf Stream and the prevailing westerly winds. This is a shame if you want to use your sledge … but as there are no hills it was going to be tough for you anyway.

4. When I came down to work and live here in ‘87 a young Irish lad that worked alongside me gave this stunning observation, “The only reason people come to live in St.Annes is to die”. That was perhaps the case up until the nineties but the population has changed a fair bit since then and the town has tried its best to change as well. It must be doing something because there’s a definite split between those who like the redevelopment the council have made to the Square and Wood Street and those who don’t.

5. If you want a choice of television provider you are restricted to satellite or terrestrial/freeview. There is no cable operator that I am aware of in St.Annes although you can get cable in Blackpool or even in Freckleton down the coast. I suspect there are two reasons for this. The first is the technical one, that this town is mostly built on sand and as a result laying the piping and cables could be costly for the possible take-up and financial return. The second is the preponderance of nursing homes and hotels. I guess that the possible income for a cable operator would be restricted by the lack of private residences to serve.

Fylde Borough Council provide a potted history of St.Annes here.

9 Comments:

  • The redevelopment of the square is shoddy and a complete dog's breakfast aestehtically as far as I'm concerned. I wrote to the Express about it, and received a huge dossier from the council (unsolicited) in which they demonstrated how marvellous it all was. They were wrong.

    By Blogger Rob, at 1:20 pm  

  • I know what you’re saying Rob and I’m 50% in agreement with you however I do think it’s a bold step the Council took as the town square looked so dated. As it only has history since mid-Victorian times and was looking very shabby something had to be done. Having said all that there are still two main problems as I see it. The turnover of shops in the square (and by that I mean their occupancy … although presumably that relates directly to their financial turnover!) and the desecration and demolition of various Porritt buildings over the recent decades to be replaced by concrete, vomit inducing blocks of flats, etc. That’s the true scandal.

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 6:39 pm  

  • Yes, I agree - but the stated plan of the council was to make the sq into an arts and crafts style space. William Morris had a thing about workmanship - and simmplicity - that the council seem to have overloooked

    By Blogger Rob, at 7:57 pm  

  • Agreed. I'm also glad the proposed giant sail shaped wind breaks at the west side of the square never happened. They would have looked ridiculous and been completely ineffectual. Suspect that the council baulked at the extra cost and that BAE at Warton let their apprentice draughtsmen design the models as an exercise in techie drawing and engineering.

    Still ... what the hell, there are worse looking towns I wouldn't want to live in!

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 11:58 pm  

  • "the proposed giant sail shaped wind breaks at the west side of the square never happened." No - but there's a new plan to install something similar...

    By Blogger Rob, at 11:40 am  

  • Ye gods Rob, please tell me you're joking!

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 12:43 am  

  • I'm afraid not - can't remember where I saw it, but I am sure that the plans for phase 4 of regeneration, starting next year, include some sort of giant windbreak. The council web pages have nothing on it as far as I can see, but I'm sure I didn't dream this...

    By Blogger Rob, at 9:02 am  

  • Rob, I checked the Fylde BC website and found this page http://www.fylde.gov.uk/NewsArticle.aspx?id=SX8478-A781C930 ... no help whatsoever. It's atrocious and repeats it's text FOUR times! Diabolical website management.

    By Blogger Pablo Fanque, at 11:19 pm  

  • Yes, I found that too - but there is something somwhere about the new plans. I just can't find it.

    By Blogger Rob, at 2:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home