Rage at the Moon

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The ROAR of the Printing Press

ROAR (Residents Opposed to Airport Regime) never got back to me regarding my e-mail asking if they have a web site however, I see from a press article this week they are in the middle of developing one so I'll wait and see.

Speaking of press articles I've done a search and found these charting the development/progress of the campaign in the local papers and will try and post links to future articles as I find them.

The Gazette is an evening paper for the Blackpool and Fylde area and the Lytham St.Annes Express is a weekly. They both belong to the same stable so the articles are broadly similar.

Gazette - 24 Aug 2006
Gazette - 28 Aug 2006

LSA Express - 23 Aug 2006
LSA Express - 30 Aug 2006
LSA Express - 13 Sep 2006

As an aside, I've been pondering the acronym ROAR (meaning Residents Opposed to Airport Regime) and although it sounds right (the roar of a jet's engines as it takes off/lands) I can't help but feel the full title is slightly contrived to fit the acronym. Maybe something like Residents Against Blackpool International's Expansion Scheme might be better suited? Then again ... RABIES? Perhaps not. Even if the residents were against the development of the airport then you would get RABID. I guess in ROAR's case the acronym is much more meaningful than the full title!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home