Rage at the Moon

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

More Than Victorian

For some strange reason today I ended up browsing through Wikipedia (too much downtime at work I‘m, afraid) and found an entry for 'Lytham St Annes'. This appears to have been created and edited by some local historians and it makes for interesting reading (especially their discussions on what should and should not be included!) but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it had history before the 1870s. Apparently there was a Viking village called Kilgrimol at the north side of St.Annes. Wow! Now we’re talking real history! Of course there’s nothing left of it nowadays but it’s nice to know that originally this area was not just a mill owner’s playground. Having been born, bred and lived in Edinburgh for 35 years, where you are absolutely and unavoidably steeped in centuries of history, I had quite happily enjoyed living in a quiet seaside town with no more than 130 years of it, but now I feel slightly more pleased at finding out that the hairy lads who knew how to have a really wild night on the town were here first … some 1100 years ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home