Rage at the Moon

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Illuminations Weather

On Friday night (1st September) the Blackpool Illuminations had their annual switch-on and as sure as night follows day the weather today was bloody awful. When I first came down from Edinburgh in 1987 I was told that the weather was windy and rainy when the lights went on and continued mostly like that for their duration (this year it's 66 days). I didn't quite believe it but after all this time I am forced to concede that the locals know best. This morning I woke to a howling gale and bucketing rain! The rain eventually stopped mid afternoon and the gale died down by evening.

I live just south of Blackpool in LSA (that's my location in 'work speak' - check it out on a map for proper i.d. if you want) and as a rule we only visit the Illuminations once every four or five years as each year they only update a section of the lights so it makes them seem a good bit different with a gap of that size, but as a rule when we take a drive up the Prom to see them it's a miserable night weather wise. No plans so far this season for the present Mrs F and myself to take young Master F to see them. Maybe next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home